DEATH TOLL RISES TO 20 IN LAGOS BUILDING COLLAPSE

Written by on March 15, 2019

Reports has it twenty people have been confirmed dead in the collapse of a building housing a nursery and primary school in Lagos.

It will be recalled the dilapidated building in the densely populated area of the city came down without warning on Wednesday morning.

Rescue workers called off the search for survivors yesterday, with the death toll at nine and the number of injured who were taken to hospital at 37.

However, Lagos State health commissioner Jide Idris said the final toll was now higher and included children.

Lagos State governor, Akinwunmi Ambode has said the school was operating illegally in the building and pledged to shut down similar establishments throughout the state.

Meanwhile, Omotayo Fakolujo, of the Lagos State Building and Control Agency (LASBCA), said about 100 distressed buildings had been earmarked for demolition.


Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Current track

Title

Artist